It's not an easy topic to talk about, as we all have different relationships with guns. I grew up shooting paper targets at indoor ranges, and I've enjoyed picking it up again. I live in a city where my best friend has been held up in his own condo building. In this city, semi-automatic guns are legal and there are a lot of angry people here - that's a dangerous combination. As much as I want the government to leave everyone alone, I'm also scared that mean people have access to guns.
So which one wins out - fear or free rights?
In the words of Virginia patriot Patrick Henry: "Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense?"
ReplyDeleteAn armed citizenry is the best protection against despotism and tyranny. I know it seems inconceivable that in this era the government could ever become abusive of its role... then again with a federal government that is each day absorbing more and more "responsibilities", who knows how far it could go. States fail. The failure of the DC government and MPD to protect its citizens is what led to the repeal of the gun ban in this city. The State failed blacks in the 50's and 60's in the South and citizens defended themselves and their property with arms against lynch mobs and crossburners.
Ben Franklin sums it up well: "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."